It was built under the orders of Federico II of Swabia in the 13th century. It is very important in the history of the city. It was seat during the Sicilian vespers, and after that it was residence for several sovereigns. When it was built it stood near the sea, but after the eruption of Etna volcano in 1669 the conformation of the city changed and now the castle is located in the central area of Catania and it’s part of the historical city center. Nowadays it has been converted into the Civic Museum of Catania.